- 1.5 cups water
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 3-inch)
- 1 teaspoon whole cardamom seeds
- 2 inches candied orange rind – about 1 tablespoon (substitute 3 inch fresh orange rind)
- 750 ml GHV Frontenac red table wine (1 bottle)
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons almonds, blanched whole (or slivered)
- In a non-aluminum mid-size sauce pan, heat water and sugar over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute.
- Tie all spices and the peel into a small piece of cheesecloth for easy removal.
- Add the spices and peel and wine to the sauce pan and warm through, covered, 5 minutes. If boiled, the alcohol evaporates.
- To serve: Stand one spoon in each glass, evenly divide Glögi into each glass.
Add a few raisins and almonds in each, or serve separately. Serves 4